Monday, January 9, 2012

Happy Birthday to us

Seven years?  Can it be so?  We celebrated her birthday and there was dinner and a trip to be pampered.  No balloons or Chuck E. Cheese madness for us this year.

I stand amazed that my daughter has been growing for seven years and has the height, vocabulary and beauty to prove it.  Have I weathered seven years of single parenting and come out alive?  I toss my short, sleek hair back and laugh.  Yes, I certainly have.  *At this point, my daughter would remind me that my hair doesn't move when I toss it, but I digress.  I feel like Picasso as I step back and say that I created that young lady.

Times have changed.  I have changed with them and even when it was at its bleakest last year, I pressed on.  I had to and couldn't afford to crumble.  I have seven-year-old eyes watching my every move to figure out what position she was to play.  She played it, too.

When I returned from my nine days in the hospital at my mom's side, my daughter watched me renew myself as a domesticated and humbled parent.  She also watched when I didn't eat my peas and made sure to fuss at me until I did.  It's funny how the roles reverse and sometimes the adult becomes the child.

I've learned to be even more skillful and resourceful.  I guess you can say that I've sharpened the saw.  I emerged a greater person, not because I was confident, but because my mom would have wanted me to.  I couldn't falter.

I hadn't stumbled when my relationship with my daughter's father crumbled into dust.  I hadn't stumbled when I took a leave from my employer after the loss of my mom and my supervisor was not feeling it.  I simply didn't give a shit.  My mental health had to prevail because I have seven-year-old eyes watching me.  2011 showed me that I inherently know what to do in every situation that comes my way.  The answer is right there inside and all I have to do is listen to it.

That is how I made it through these seven years.  That little voice inside.


No comments: